Tuesday, February 3, 2009

sounds of music

every tuesday i have about two hours to kill between my lecture and lab. i usually bring my imac and search the web or stalk everyone out on facebook while sitting on a comfy couch in the fisher center at uncw. today as i am sitting here waiting for the time to pass someone somewhere is playing the piano. its crazy what music can do to/for you. 

when i am running i have to listen to music that on a regular basis i would never choose to listen to. & there have been many occasions when someone has gotten a hold of my ipod & i am embarrassed & have to explain why certain songs are on my playlist. but when i want to quit running nothing keeps me going like "big shit poppin'" by TI (unfortunately this is not a joke!) right now as a am sitting here listening to the sounds of the chords of the piano spill out into the hallways of the fisher center there is such a sense of peace that has overtaken me. i feel like i could sit here and listen to the music for forever.

i have always been envious of people who can sit down at the piano and just begin to read music and play. my mom has a baby grand piano. both her and my sisters can play...although they might be a little rusty. my favorite piece they play is beethoven's "moonlight sonate." everytime i hear it i think of them. when i was younger i took lessons but never committed to it. this might be due to the fact my piano teacher had ridiculously long nose hairs, so i never liked to look at him bc most of the time there was something hanging off of them.

for christmas my brother-in-law got a teach yourself guide to playing the piano (so any coldplay song you want to hear he is your go-to-guy!) this inspired me to make my new years resolution to learn how to play the piano...well re-learn. my friend taylor told me her mom who just moved from new york to wilmington would teach me how to play for really cheap. and my roommate jessica has a keyboard for me to practice on.  so now all i need to do is go through with it. maybe putting it in writing will help me commit. well the music has stopped and i have become less inspired to continue with this blog....oh the power of music.

1 comment:

tabbeus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.