Monday, March 23, 2009

finish line

yesterday aaron and i finished our first marathon. here are my results:

finish time: 3:55:51
finished: 799 out of 2555
sex placement: 184 out of 982

i say our first marathon bc this one did not go as planned. i really wanted to qualify for the boston marathon, which is a finishing time of 3:40:59. aaron and i started out with a really good steady fast pace until around mile 9. at mile 9 the area around my ankle started throbbing with pain. this pain never eased up and began to spread throughout my foot. at mile 13 i saw my sister and her husband standing cheering for us. i had to go up to her almost in tears telling her about my pain. she told me that she would have some medicine for me at mile 19. when i heard that i had to wait until mile 19 the tears made their way back to my eyes. luckily a woman cheering beside her had some medicine in her purse. lauren then raced towards us to give me my medicine.

unfortunately, the medicine didn't ease any of the pain but i just gritted my teeth ( & screamed a couple of times) until the finish. i have not been able to walk normally since the race has ended, my ankle & foot are quite swollen, and i am awake at 6 am this morning bc it is throbbing with pain. minus the pain in my foot my body felt great during the marathon, my breath was steady and my mind set was good. when all this ankle stuff has passed i will do another marathon and i will complete my goal.

side note: 

lauren and paul you guys were awesome. i don't think i have could have finished without your encouragement. thank you again for everything you did this weekend to make our marathon special.

and aaron thank you so much for training with me. i know you hate running (but then again this was your idea.) and thank you for staying with me during the marathon and making sure i was ok.

5 comments:

Mike Leonard said...

HI Lindsey,
I'm praying for your ankle and foot...that's a drag. Great job and we're proud of you! I've tried two times to train for a marathon and both times I didn't make it due to injuries...I think my body is past the point..it's the age thing.
Anyway...YOU DID IT! Congratulations!
Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I am totally in awe of your achievement. Congratulations!

Love,
Mom

christy said...

I'm so sorry about your ankle. I hope it feels better soon. But I'm so proud of you. You had an amazing time!

And always remember...the Chicago marathon is famous for being fast. I'm just saying....

Apparel Underground said...

I'm so proud of you! 1000 cookies for you!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I hope you get better soon!